Monday, May 9, 2011

Elephants, Bones, Emotional Health, Tuna & Friends

Elephants:  I just received my copy of the "Elephant Room" DVDs from the conference held a month ago.  I wasn't able to participate in the day but look forward to taking some time over the next few weeks to watch 7 pastor's debate and grapple with ministry philosophy.

Bones: I appreciated Dr. Jim Ayer's message on the importance of every member of the Body of Christ in accomplishing together God's purposes for the Church.  He used an analogy that spoke of the four types of bones in the Body of Christ.  There is the jawbone, wishbone, knuckle bone and backbone.  I will let you define each of those as you wish as they are somewhat self-explanatory.  The reality is that we need everyone who claims to be a follower of Christ to engage and be a part of the backbone of a ministry for the sake and glory of Christ.

Emotional Health:  I am about half way through the book "The Emotionally Healthy Church" that was recently recommended to me.  It is really helping me process and think through how I view people within the church and their discipleship within the church.  So much of my training revolved around the need to provide people with a place to grow in their spiritual intellect while growing in their spiritual disciplines without giving much thought or credence to the individual as a holistic person uniquely created by God.  God continues to grow me in my understanding of viewing ourselves and one another as holistic people who need to place priority on our spiritual, intellectual, physical and emotional health.  These four areas definitely intersect and are worth giving attention to.  This is well worth pastor's thinking about as the premise of the book very much builds off of the truth that as goes the leader so goes the church.

Tuna and Friends:  Just enjoyed an appreciation lunch with my wife (Teacher at Lititz Christian) and other good friends put on by a group of parents from the school.  Couldn't imagine doing life without solid relationships within my life.

No comments: