Friday, July 8, 2011

Rest, Rekindle, Recalibration, Recreation

The other day I was speaking with a friend and we both commented on how we feel like the summer is half over.  We've just celebrated the fourth and now we start gearing up towards the Fall.  But, somewhere in there are a whole lot of vacations planned by families including my own.

As I think about another family vacation and time away from the office, I always make sure to think through the primary purposes of getting away.  I've touched on some of these before, but thought these four were worth sharing as I contemplate them for my life.

REST
I continue to learn that my need for physical, emotional and spiritual rest is necessary.  One can only live off of adrenaline for so long without crashing.  Sleep is necessary and the chance to sleep in for a few mornings will be wonderful.  Emotional and spiritual rest is also necessary.  It is far too easy to get caught up in just going through the motions and time is needed to just stop and think about where one is at emotionally and spiritually.  God rested on the 7th day of creation not because He was tired but because He was establishing a pattern for us as His created to follow.  Rest is necessary.

REKINDLE
I believe immensely in the importance of families stepping out of the ordinary patterns and systems of life to enjoy time together and rekindle relationships.  As the family unit erodes within our current culture, there is something special about getting away from the routines of life to just enjoy one another over hours in a car, playing games or experiencing new things together.  Time away from the office with my family gives my an opportunity to focus the most important relationships of my life.

RECALIBRATE
By taking the time to rest and remove myself from the normal business of life allows me the time needed to recalibrate spiritually.  I try on a regular basis to pause long enough to make sure I am still on track for the Lord.  Time away where I am feeling rested gives me the opportunity to set goals for myself that are not being tainted through a mindset of weariness or pressure that can lead to unhealthy or unrealistic personal expectations.  We all need to pause long enough to recalibrate spiritually once in a while.

RECREATION
I am also a firm believer that families need to find time to intentionally step away from the routines of life to just have some fun.  Please know that I don't buy into the current culture that believes you can only enjoy yourself if you spend lots of money.  Time away allows families to spend time trying many news things as well as doing the things they love to do.  Whether it involves spending money for a new experience or just laughing together in the car while Dad sings to the radio (its true... I do it and can still bring my wife and kids to tears from laughing so hard), families must learn to have fun and just enjoy being together.  God did not create us to never laugh or enjoy life.  In Him we have such freedom and joy with every day being viewed as a gift from Him.

So there you go... some of my thoughts in the season of vacations.

2 comments:

Dan Bellerose said...

Great thoughts, I really like the idea of the necessity to rest, and to rekindle.
musingyoungknight.blogspot.com

pitcher12k said...

Thanks for the thoughts Pastor Tim! I like how you made all the words start with 'R' - it makes them easier to remember...haha no semi-pun intended :P

I appreciate the reminders (there is again!) in this post. I am leaving for a mission trip on Saturday, and I feel like these are things I should be sure to do before we get too busy doing work. Hm...I just noticed, the word 'recreation' is essentially re-creation. Even though the actual activity is not re-creating anything.
Anyway! I like the feel of your blog...it seems like you are open, just typing your thoughts. It feels like if we were in person, this is how you would talk.

I like how you pointed out that God rested, not because of need, but in order to show us what is good. I'm very glad He has continued to do that, through the life of Christ and also through His Spirit working in others now...great stuff :)
Also, you seem to think about American culture often...it was mentioned in both of your posts I read. I like how you are not content with the way 'society' says to do things...haha I find it enjoyable to challenge some of the things that are 'just how it is.'

Sorry for the long post, but I shall end it with a verse that has helped me this week/today (okay, a few verses :P )... Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
-James 1:2-4