Thursday, April 29, 2010

Advice to a Pastor Starting His Ministry Journey...


I am currently reading the book entitled "Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion" by Wayne Cordeiro. It is a wonderful read on his journey back from pastoral ministry burnout.

I am not that far into the book as I am seeking to read a bit and then process it for a season. Early on in the book, I came across a section where I thought this to myself; "I sure wish someone had talked to me about this early on in my pastoral ministry." So with that thought in mind, here are a few quotes from the book which represents some great advice to all who are starting in pastoral ministry along with great advice to those of us who have been doing it for a while.


"I always felt guilty when I took a break." (This is something we got to get over quick!)


"Zeal and good intentions can fuel us in the beginning, but they won't last in the long haul."


"To finish strong, you must learn to rejuvenate your spirit early in your ministry."


"I was fixing everybody's problems except my own, and I needed time to replenish my spirit."


"Identifying something (poor emotional state) is not the same as getting it addressed and resolved."


"Wisdom and understanding are not built in a day; however they are built daily."


"Your future will oftentimes be held in trust within the simplicity of a daily walk with God."

No comments: