Thursday, December 1, 2011

Breaking out of the Squash Box

I am heading out this afternoon to play a bit of squash with a friend of mine.  I haven't played much squash or racquetball in life, but, I do enjoy getting out and trying new sports.  One of the unique features about these two sports is the court upon which you play.  You basically go and lock yourself into a concrete box with only one small door as the way out and then smack a hard rubber ball off the walls.

As I thought about this, I could not help but equate it to the lives so many find themselves living in.  I even find myself fighting this temptation to view life as this box we are are forced into whereby you spend your days trying to keep the ball of life moving as it bounces out of control on the walls that surround you.  There are days when you just want to break out of the box you find yourself in and yet there often appears to be no way out as the ball keeps begging to be hit.  I also believe that many of us naturally return to the box as we at least feel safe and somewhat in control when in it even if we don't like it.

I really don't think the Lord has called us to live lives like this.  We have been set free in Christ and I believe we have been called to be agile and ready to move as He moves within our lives.  So often the daily requirements of surviving and being successful within the North American culture create and force us into the box of life whereby we stop dreaming big for God.  It is here that our faith can begin to shrivel.

I guess my question to self daily is simple, "What am I doing to make sure I never stop dreaming big in Christ and for Christ so that I can move with Christ?"  I don't want my remaining years on this planet to be defined as trapped in the box of daily grind but rather alive, free and moving in faith with my Saviour.

No comments: