Thursday, January 8, 2009

My Primary Citizenship

This past Sunday, our Sr. Pastor began a message series entitled "Hail to the Chief". The series launched with a talk from Romans 13:1 that called upon us as Christ followers to honor, respect and subject ourselves to the leaders (i.e. new president) that God establishes over us.

Needless to say... this message has sparked some interesting dialogue amongst some within our church family with our Sr. Pastor. As I've given thought to this series, I cannot help but come back to one of my foundational grounding points for life that I find in Philippians 3:20-21 which states: "But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables Him to bring everything under His control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like His glorious body."

As I walk and journey on this earth, I seek to do so through the Biblical lens that defines me first and foremost as a Christ follower. It's true, we all possess earthly citizenship's, but for those who have trusted Christ to be their Savior, our primary citizenship is of a heavenly nature in that we belong to the Body of Christ. With this in mind, it becomes much easier to obey passages like Romans 13:1 because I recognize that this journey on earth that has me subjected to the rulers and authorities God has placed over me is temporal. It's true, those who are in authority over me may someday prove to be as wicked as Nero in Paul's day, but I still must seek to see all leaders through the lens of Scripture because my ultimate citizenship is in heaven.

It's good that we hold strong political views and seek to voice our opinions in a country that values freedom of speech, but I must never let my political views trump the kingdom principles of God as one of His citizens.

As Paul wrote to the Gentiles in Ephesus... "Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets with Christ Jesus Himself as the chief cornerstone." (Ephesians 2:19-20)

I guess my ultimate desire is to daily reflect the truth that I am a citizen of heaven by the way I live out the kingdom principles reflected in Scripture.

No comments: