Friday, October 16, 2009

France & Spain... Here we Come!


I've been thinking a lot lately about my family's upcoming short term missions trip to France & Spain. Six months ago when we committed to spending our Christmas holiday serving the GBIM European Missionary families during a conference, it seemed like it would be forever before it came. Well forever is upon us and here is what I'm praying God will do in and through this trip for both my family and I in no particular order...
  • It will be the Auld family's first overseas trip and I'm very thankful that we will be able to have this cross cultural experience together. I want my children to grow up and appreciate other cultures.

  • I'm looking forward to learning more on how Christ followers serve Jesus in a very secular & humanistic culture that rejects either Christ and/or any form of religion outright.

  • We are looking forward to connecting with some of the GBIM European missionaries Grace Church supports. How nice to sit and converse face to face with those we only know through email updates.

  • As parents, Susan and I are looking forward to teaching our children that Christmas is more about giving than getting. This year we are taking our normal monies spent on Christmas gifts (grandparents too) and putting it towards the cost of our missions trip. We want this trip to "cost" our children something so that they learn the value of sacrificing for the cause of Christ.

  • I'm excited to have my children serve and interact with other children who serve overseas with their parents. How cool will it be for them to gain a deeper understanding of what these peers do for Christ with their parents.

  • How cool will it be to always be able to talk about the Christmas we spent in an old chateau together as a family in France.

  • We as a family are looking forward to developing and deepening our relationships with our other team members as we serve/live together for nearly two weeks.
The list could go on and on and on... but I'll stop here and be looking to keep updating these thoughts as our trip grows closer. A special thanks to all who have given towards our family making this special trip. It is appreciated and I would ask that you continue to pray with us that God give us the remaining funds needed to cover these costs.

No comments: