Thursday, August 14, 2008

15 Years and counting...


Today I celebrate 15 years of marriage and I can honestly say that I am still madly, deeply and passionately in love with my wonderful wife Susan. She is truly a wonderful gift from God to me. I couldn't imagine doing this thing called "life" (ministry, kids, crazy dog, bills, grocery shopping etc...) without her.


As I reflect upon our 15 years together, here are a few things I think God has taught me/us along the way which has kept our marriage resilient and strong.

1) Susan is truly my best friend and we're committed to a lifetime of cultivating that friendship.

2) We've always kept God at the center of our home and lives which has given us the solid foundation needed to build our lives together upon. I'm thankful for a wife who has faithfully stood by my side through difficult ministry seasons because of a commitment to see God's will for our lives worked out in and through us.

3) We've learned to make communicating with one another a priority. One of our favorite things to do is sit on our deck at night, sip coffee and just talk. Sometimes hours can pass in what seems like seconds as we share life together.

4) I've worked hard to keep the romance alive. We've never had money to take big fancy anniversary trips, but I've worked hard to remain creative to keep the flame burning bright. She truly grows more beautiful to me on a daily basis and I learned early from my father to never let a day go by without reminding my wife how much I love her!!!

5) We've made our relationship a priority. As important as the kids and the ministries we lead are, they do not trump the priority of our marriage. We will only be effective as parents and in ministry if our marriage is strong and resting in the Lord.

6) I cannot think of a time where we let the sun go down with us still being angry at each other. As with any relationship, there is conflict at times, but we have committed to never let a day end without resolving the conflict. It's just not worth it!

There are a million other things I have learned along the way, but the one thing I want everyone to know today is this: I love Susan Auld with every fibre of my being and I would marry her all over again (even in Altoona - inside joke). You are the love of my life and I look forward to many, many, many, many, many more years with you! Marriage is truly wonderful and gets better as the years go by!

No comments: