Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Guard the Deposit (The next generation)

I've been challenged recently to think about all that has been entrusted to my care by God. From relationships to responsibilities God has give me (actually all of us) the call to be a good steward of everything he entrusts to us.



I could not help but think about Paul's words to Tim in 1 Timothy 6:20-21 where he encourages him to "guard what has been entrusted to your care." As I reflected upon this, I came to the realization that one of the greatest things entrusted to each and every generation is the next generation. One of my favorite thoughts that motivates me daily is the truth that the body of Christ is always one generation away from extinction. So here is my question; "why is the church (why am I) so passive when it comes to dying ministries?"



Think about it, if we are called to guard what has been entrusted to our care (including the next generation) then why aren't we more passionate about making sure the church is effective? Why do we celebrate mediocrity in our churches, fellowships and denominations? Why am I at times content with spiritual mediocrity in my own life?



As with any deposit, we hope it grows and becomes valuable. Lately, that's my prayer for the next generation. I'm praying that God will use me (as a husband, father and pastor), Grace Ministries and other ministries to pursue excellence and refuse to celebrate mediocrity. God has entrusted us with something huge and I want to be found faithful in it so that those who come behind me will make a huge impact upon the work and ministry of Christ here on this earth.

No comments: