Thursday, September 11, 2008

It's getting loud around here!!!


This morning I had the privilege of speaking at LCS (Lititz Christian School) for both the elementary and secondary chapels. I always enjoy my time with the kids down at the other end of Grace Ministries as I come away with a sense of great hope. This hope comes as I look out at all the talents, gifts and abilities sitting before me. But, I also learned during the elementary chapel that a room full of these kids can be loud.




As I was preparing for the young kids to arrive, I was warned by a teacher to be ready to plug my ears. With that warning fresh in my mind, I put my Bible down in preparation to plug away! Funny thing is, we went through the worship time with these 1st - 5th grade students and I didn't find it really that noisy. As the worship concluded, I stood up and did my little talk for about 15 minutes and then the worship leader got up again. I thought, "he must be the one who gets to dismiss them." Well... he dismissed them with a group scream that I didn't see coming. My first clue should have been the elementary teachers throwing their hands to their ears as the worship leader walked forward, but I'm a little slow before my many cups of AM coffee. All I know is that they hit a pitch that I thought would definitely draw blood from my ears.




As the noise subsided and I got my regular hugs and high fives after a chapel with the kids, I began the long walk back to my office. As I did, I couldn't help but think about the time Joshua and the children of Israel marched around Jericho and let out a loud scream which brought the walls down. Isn't it funny that we so often equate spirituality and the presence of God with silence and quiet. Now, believe me, I'm not opposed to quiet and solitude at all, but... I think I learned today that God doesn't mind loud if it genuinely comes from the hearts of ones who love God.




Come to think of it... I don't think heaven is going to be a real quiet place either! From what I can understand, we're going to hear the angels repeat HOLY, HOLY, HOLY over and over and over and over and over... well you get the idea!

No comments: