Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Proud Moment & Words to my Son

The other night LCS had their annual middle school sports banquet. I was looking forward to it in that my son had played numerous sports throughout the year and had a lot of fun doing it. But what I ended up experiencing that night was more than I ever anticipated.

As the night got rolling, I quickly came to realize that each and every sport would be acknowledged and that each and every student would receive a certificate in the sports they played. I must confess that I did think this might get a little old, but it didn't and here is why. As each coach stood before the parents, they began to talk about the privilege of coaching our children and I came to realize that for each of these coaches it was more than just winning some games. These coaches were committed to pouring into the life of my son on so many levels which means the world to me as a parent. Thanks coaches!!!

But, the best was yet to come! (Warning: I'm about to brag on my son so feel free to stop reading if you want) Part of the evening was also handing out various awards for each sport on a number of fronts. I must confess that I know my son loves sports and that he gives it his all and I was hoping he would at least get one award that evening. I'm not convinced its the best of attitudes, but I really wanted him to win something.

As the night went on, he ended receiving an award for each of the three sports he played. He won Rookie of the Year Award for soccer. He won the Total Release Award for basketball (this is given to the player who gives 110% every game). He won Rookie of the Year for track and field. I must confess that I was a proud pop and began to think about what I would say to him. So here it goes...

"Son I'm really proud of you. I'm proud that you poured yourself into these sports and learned about team, discipline and playing fairly while still having a passion to win and do your best. But, I'm even more proud about the young man you are becoming. As I watched you stand up front to receive those awards, I realized you weren't a little boy anymore. You are growing up and I can't wait to see how God uses all the potential in you. So keep trusting God, live life to the fullest and enjoy the years God is giving you at LCS with you friends and teammates."

No comments: