Tuesday, May 5, 2009

And now for the rest of the story...

This past weekend I wrapped up my sermon by sharing my families personal story of needing to firmly place our feet upon a never changing Jesus and I left everyone hanging with the results of this story. So here is the remainder of our story...

As noted on Sunday, my father-in-law was found to have a terrible brain bleed (non-technical term) with need for a surgery that could potentially lead to either his survival or death. I shared how we as a family leaned completely on our never changing Jesus especially when the time had passed when the surgery was to be over which the doctor had warned us would most likely be bad news. And that's where I left it hanging...

And now for the rest of the story... My father-in-law did survive the surgery and entered a rehab facility for many months as the brain bleed did leave him permanently disabled in some areas. My families need to continue resting and relying in a never changing Jesus was very real for the many years since his surgery.

To this day, my in-laws are both doing well and Christ has proven Himself so faithful to our family. As every Christ follower knows, this life is anything but easy, but that's why we are challenged from the Bible to place our faith and confidence in the only One who does not change in an ever changing world. To be completely honest, this truth about Jesus and our need to fully depend on Him is true whether my father-in-law would have lived or died that day. The rest of the story did not change the truth of the point. We all need to keep leaning on Jesus no matter what a day holds whether good or bad!

One final thought... I was really moved by the many, many people who approached both Susan and I with a genuine concern for our family after I shared this story. Your love for us was evident and we appreciated your thoughts for us as we all do this thing called life together while resting in a never changing Jesus.

Love serving and living life with the Grace Church family!

No comments: