Thursday, April 30, 2009

Jesus Never Changes!

The writer of Hebrews simply states "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever!" (Hebrews 13:8)

It's a very simple statement, yet one that carries significant meaning and tension for me as a Christ follower.

The tension comes from a belief that everything changes and in that change I find hope. The Bible is very clear that I as a Christ follower am being changed (Romans 12:1-2) by God to have the heart and mind of Christ. That's a good thing! I'm also told that my hope lies in the fact that there is coming a day when this changing, tired and groaning world will be made new (Romans 8:18-25). That too is a good thing!

BUT here is the tension... I don't always like change. There are days that I prefer to be comfortable, safe and predictable. It's on those days that I don't need to trust so deeply in Christ and I can rest in my own strength AND THERE LIES THE PROBLEM! I believe that at it's core, I don't always enjoy change because it moves me out of my comfort zone into the zone of absolute dependency upon God and that's where this truth about Christ becomes so important.

As I cling to the truth that Jesus never changes, I find great security amongst a rapidly changing world. Because Jesus never changes, I know that His promises to me will also never change.

Thus with great confidence I hold on to the following promises made by God to me as a Christ follower that will never change:

I will never leave you nor forsake you! (Joshua 1:5)

Nothing will separate you from my love! (Romans 8:35-39)

My peace I leave with you! (John 14:27)

Cast all your cares on Me because I care for you! (1 Peter 5:7)

I'm coming back for you! (John 14:1-3)

There are many other great thoughts that go along with this theological truth about Christ, but take some time to rest with great confidence in a never changing Savior's promises even in the midst of things like a poor economy, the swine flu and whatever other change is currently rocking your world.

No comments: