Friday, December 11, 2009

Right Priorities & Identity!

It's Friday afternoon and I am looking forward to the next 24 hours of my life. It really has nothing to do with the nature of the activities (even though I'll enjoy them) as I am getting better at not letting activities or circumstances dictate my mood. I believe I am excited about the next 24 hours of my life because one of the God given deeper longings of my heart will be met. Before I share what I will be doing, let me back up the train of life a bit for some background...

A number of years ago, I came to the place in my life where I realized that who I am in Christ and who I am as both a husband and a father far outweighs my successes or failures as a pastor. Therefore, even though the church is very important to me and working long hard hours for the cause of Christ within the local church context is welcomed, it no longer controls my sense of identity (most days). I am learning to stand up for myself and say "No" at the risk of upsetting people as it has become necessary in order to protect the deeper, more important aspects of my life as a Christ follower.

Thus... I am very excited about the next 24 hours of my life because I will be able to focus on being the husband of Susan and the father of Josh and Emma as we have our family night (Five Guys burgers and Christmas Carol movie). We then will spend most of Saturday at a basketball tournament whereby I will be able to spend some daddy - daughter time in the stands with Emma while watching my son play and my wife coach her team. It's a chance for me to not be Pastor Tim but rather a proud husband and dad while spending time with the very ones God has entrusted me to lead first.

I need to get better at this... but I think 24 hour periods of time like today's are positive steps in securing my identity in Christ with His priorities guiding me.

1 comment:

Rick B. said...

I'm impressed and encouraged. Thank you for the reminder of priorities and identity.