Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Temporary Empty Nest Lessons


This past week has been an interesting week for me. Through a series of events, Susan and I have found ourselves without any kids around the house for a few days and I'm not sure I like it! Don't get me wrong... Susan and I love hanging out together and not fighting the kids for the remote is wonderful, but I've had a few moments this week where God has been speaking into my life through this experience... I'm looking to capture those moments in a few blog posts over the next few days.

Moment # 1: Camp Conquest and Emma

This past Sunday it was time to drop my little princess (my daughter Emma) off at Camp Conquest for her first ever full week of camp. She loves it at camp and that helps me deal with it because I never grew up going to camp nor do I really have a desire for it. It's not bad... it's just not my cup of tea. I had been preparing myself for this week by working through all the details in my head that I felt would make it bearable for her. She would have a week hanging out and sharing a cabin with a good friend. She would have a nice bunk in a nice lodge with indoor plumbing. She would be smiling and laughing the minute we pulled onto the camp property and the list went on.

To be honest with you, I was horrified as we went through the camp registration process. It had nothing to do with Camp Conquest, but rather some of my preconceived ideas about what was going to make camp bearable for my daughter came crashing down in rapid succession as circumstances beyond our control took over. Her week was going to look nothing like I had envisioned it. I was devastated and went into the protective dad mode with every intention of putting her back into the car and taking her home so we could hit Disney or something. SIDE NOTE: I thank the Lord for a wise wife who helped me give pause before I did something stupid!

After getting Emma settled in, I still wasn't very comfortable leaving her there, but I did. As Susan and I rode home here is the lesson God spoke to us (actually spoke to my wife who then shared it with me... I was still in take her home mode).

LESSON # 1: All the plans I have for my children may not be God's plans and I need to be OK with that! (Isaiah 55:8) As I drove home, I had to acknowledge that what I was hoping my daughter would get out of this week at camp was most likely not going to happen. Because of a whole set circumstances out of my control, God was going to work in her life as He so desired. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about her, but I am excited to get her home Friday night and hear all about how God worked in her life through a series of circumstances that were well out of my control and I'm learning to be good with that because I know our Father in heaven loves that little girl with a love that will forever be deeper than the love I will ever have while walking this earth. I guess God's still growing me up as well!

No comments: