Saturday, April 11, 2009

CRUCIFY HIM & a Night of Worship!

Last evening was a wonderful night of reflecting on the death of Christ for my sins at our Good Friday Night of Worship. Through Scripture, song and a number of creative elements, time was spent thinking about how we as sinners had no choice but to scream out "Crucify Him" just like the crowd noted in Matthew 27:11-66.

This thought comes after a time of reflection in the Gospel accounts whereby we see a crowd on the brink of riot screaming at Pilate to "Crucify" Jesus. I often wonder what my response would have been had I been standing there and I would like to think that I would have been the lone one with enough courage to scream out "He is innocent... set Him free."

But, the reality of the situation is so grave that I too would have no choice but to scream out "Crucify Him!" My desire to see Jesus (the sinless Son of God) crucified is not rooted in anger towards His upheaval of the religious system of the day, but rather is rooted solely in the fact that I am a sinner and I needed Him to shed His blood on the cross to buy my freedom from sin.

It's a sobering thought to think that I too would have had to stand there and scream out "Crucify Him" because of my sin. So with that thought in mind, I praise Him for He willingly went to that cross with me on His mind for the sole purpose of rescuing me from sin. I believe last night's service at Grace was so powerful because as this thought hit home to each and every one of us, we could not help but praise and celebrate our Savior!

No comments: